177 CATHALL ROAD, LEYTONSTONE, LONDON, E11
Originally operating from 1A Type Street, London, E2, the Wrenn brothers, Clive and Terry started Convair developments probably in late 1955 as the first adverts appeared in early 1956 advertising parts initially for Austin Seven specials. By 1957 they were offering their series `S` chassis to accept Morris Minor, Ford 100E and MGA engines priced at £65. This was soon dropped in favour of a multi tube ladder chassis "of Italian design" to take Ford E93A components. This could be purchased for as little as £40. An IFS unit was also available to bolt to this chassis for £17.10s
Convair ladder chassis for Ford E93A components
Also offered was their Mk1 shell for £68 for the bare shell, or £88 if bought with mounting tubes and brackets, fitted doors, bonnet and boot. Or with wheel arches and bulkheads for £108. Le Mans type headlamp covers could also be fitted for an extra £12. The `V` screen shown above £12.10s and a hardtop with gullwing doors for £35.
Jeremy Peirson's 1958 Convair, purchased without headlamp mountings moulded into the body and sporting the gullwing hardtop
Convair Mk1 with conventional headlamps
In 1958 they moved to 177 Cathall Road and their price list that I have for December that year quotes that the body was now available complete with fibreglass floor, dashboard with glovebox, shelf for tools header tank and battery etc as well as everything mentioned above to fit the Ford 7`6" chassis only priced at £100. Also available now was a one piece curved windscreen with laminated glass for £21.
Convair GT. Sadly now sold and quickly scrapped by the buyer - why?
Sometime in 1959 the Mk1 shell was developed into the GT it appears that only five of these cars were built and amazingly three survive. The two brothers then parted company Clive staying at Cathall Street producing the Nordec and Terry moving to Newark, Nott's producing the exact same shell as Clive but named the TWM.