Specials & Sports Cars

Using Ford Sidevalve Components


Buckler Address


Derek Buckler built his first multi-tube space frame car in 1947 and campaigned it with some vigor over the next couple of years. When in January 1949 Derek placed a full page add in Motor Sport for the Buckler "Colonial", (which was a complete car for export, for only 625.00 ex works), orders soon came in and the first production Buckler was sold later that year. By January next year Buckler space frames were being offered for sale.

Buckler 1

1952 MkV multi- tube frame for Ford Ten specials

Throughout  the next few years Bucklers adverts boasted success after success in competition and by 1952 they were offering their Independent Front Suspension unit for Ford Anglia's and Prefect's as well as close ratio gears and remote gear shift's.

Buckler 3 

Buckler Independent front suspension unit

Their 1954 price list offers for sale no less than seven different space frames. The Ninety, a sleek low all enveloping aluminium paneled racer. 

Buckler 5

The Mark V, a cycle winged 2 seater of 90" wheelbase. The Mark VI and VI-4, a cycle winged two and four seater of 94" wheelbase. 

Buckler 7Buckler 9





MkV & MkV1

The Mark X and XI, a three seater aluminium bodied sports car of 90 & 94" wheelbase, and the Model 53, a trials frame which was designed to take full advantage of he 1953 RAC regulations and which had a wheelbase of 7` and a track of 3`9".

  Buckler 11  
Buckler 13
Type 53

This list also included such items as four branch manifolds, twin inlet manifold's for 1.1/8 SU`s, double valve springs and 4.7-1 crown wheel and pinion sets. This list printed on a single side of fullscap was to grow into a twenty page booklet by the end of the fifties such was the range offered by the company.

Their next frame offered was the DD1 (DD was for De Dion), which was powered by a Coventry Climax engine. Only one is thought to have been made. The DD1 which was made and is still in splendid condition, although now with a GRP shell, was intended to race at Le Mans and built with an Aston Martin DBS gearbox and Buckler De Dion rear end, with Lagonda diff and Alfin inboard drum brakes.

Buckler DD1

Buckler DD1 "Le Mans" Climax circa 1955.

Courtesy of the 'Malcolm Buckler collection'

Buckler DD1 rear axle

Buckler DD1 detail of De Dion rear suspension.

(photo by Bruce Ellwood)

Courtesy of the 'Malcolm Buckler collection'

After this came the very popular DD2 which was more of a "range" than a "model" was designed with a chassis jig, which could be adjusted at point of manufacture, to accept any engine up to 2 litres and a selection of suspension choices, although the prototype was most probably made to the 1172 Formula specification.

The DD2 could be supplied with mountings to fit bodies by AKS. Ashley 94, the Mk XV11. Falcon Caribbean, DD2/Falcon111. Microplas Mistral and Rochdale, the Buckler GT 1/R.

A version was also produced to accept the Daimler SP250 V8 engine of 2.5 litres.

Buckler 15
DD2 spaceframe

Buckler`s last model was the BB100. Built in 1958 it was of a "Y" shaped backbone design, with a front mounted 100E engine lying at 45 degrees in the "V" part of the "Y". The prototype reg SBW100 was tested by a Mr. Murray Major. So impressed was he with the car that he ordered a car for use in 1172 formula racing.. Both cars had aluminium bodies made for Buckler by John Offord of Crowthorne, but work on the second car became delayed and delivery never took place. Murray Major was then able to purchase the prototype and raced this with some success for a number of years. The second BB100 was shown on the Buckler stand at the Racing Car Show at the Royal Horticultural Halls in London in the first week of January 1961, where it attracted a lot of interest from the other manufacture

Buckler BB100

Buckler BB100 "Backbone" circa 1960

Courtesy of the 'Malcolm Buckler collection'

Buckler 17Buckler 19

BB100 prototype                 BB100 no2

The car was later sold to an employee of the company and after over thirty years in store it's restoration has begun. The prototype was bought by John Orpin the chairman of the Buckler Register, from Murray Major, in 1965 and he sold it to Derek Buckler`s son Malcolm in 1975. Malcolm kept the car on the Isle of Man until 1987, when he sold it to Peter Silverthorne the Buckler Registrar. Towards the end of the 50`s Derek Bucklers health began to fail and Peter Hilton took over as managing director. 
Derek sold his interest in the company in 1961 to Mike Luff and Frank Fletcher who ran the company as Buckler Engineering until the Liquidator was eventually brought in on 6th Feb 1965. 
Derek Buckler died in March 1964 aged 53 and although the company has long since gone his name with live forever through his cars and all those "add on" goodies that are much sought after today.